Monday, July 26, 2010

It’s now at Pittsburgh

Continuing my journey of sharing the stories of the Archdiocese of Imphal, I left Indianapolis for Pittsburgh PA on 24th July. Fr. Peter Murphy, the pastor was promptly at the Airport to pick me up and left for St. Alphonsus Church, Wexford – Pittsburgh. I saw for the first time after I arrived the United States some hilly curves somewhat similar to some of our places in Northeast India. In fact, St. Alphonsus’ Church itself is placed beautifully in an elevated little hillock.

Speaking of the parish here I must say, I was rather surprised for the first time to find a Church not air conditioned and it was rather a hot day but people were there for the mass. They don’t seem to mind to bear the inconveniences as long as they were in the Church. This was very edifying and as for me I felt quite at home with the hot fresh air in. As in other places, people were very cordial and happy to participate in our mission effort. In fact, we had 5 masses celebrated: one at 5.00 pm on Saturday and 6.00 am, 8.00 am, 10.00 am and 12.15 pm on Sunday. Two of these masses I celebrated by myself. I must only continue to wonder why people should be so kind to us. May be just because we belong to the same big family and they care about us. I shall continue to enjoy the hospitality of Fr. Murphy and Fr. Rob through the week until I move out to St. Maximilian Kolbe Church for the weekend. Fr. Rob is the associate pastor who has just moved in after he was ordained in June. You won’t believe that Fr. Peter Murphy is in his 42nd year of priesthood but is as dynamic as a year old priest. He is the first to get up in the morning for 6.00 am mass on Sunday and 7.00 am masses on weekdays and the last to leave the Church before he closes the doors at 9.00 pm every day. That says it more than I and you need to guess.

No comments: