Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Back to USA and the Surprises

The visit to US this time around was not planned or intended and least expected as I had only a month summer break from the parish ministry in Rome. But at the invitation of Fr. Josekutty to help him out with the mission co-opt for the diocese, I readily accepted and reached here on 28 June 2013. More surprises came by along the way: I met Linda Russell from Pittsburgh PA on board the flight- introduced each other and soon found ourselves talking many things in common and became good friends – we got to see each other again later. I also met Jesus Ledezma, a seminarian from the archdiocese of New York staying at North American college, Rome as we head off for our baggage claim and later we met a couple times in New York City.
My weekend to Our Lady of Ascension, York in the Diocese of Portland, Maine was supposed to be very normal if not for a message I sent to my priest friend Andrew to say that I was in the area, to which he told me that it was in fact, just 15 minutes drive away from his parish, Dover- New Hampshire. He therefore, invited me to his parish to spend the night, (and he did give up his room to me ‘coz it was air conditioned), his parents joined us for the lunch out and later we went around seeing places, a visit to a beach in the Atlantic, a stop at the house of former President senior George Bush, a friendly match to a mini golf game which I lost to him miserably.  
Then came another surprise; I did not have anything in my itinerary to be in New York City, but to my great liking, Fr. Joy KD asked me if I was interested to put in a parish in NY during my week days which I grabbed the opportunity without any hesitation.
There are too many things to detail in here of my stay in New York but I particularly remember my meeting with Frs. Joy and Mark on 8th July and the short time we were able to spend together, making visits to Ground Zero, the climb to State Empire Building, walk around the Time Square - of course with Fr. Joy as our guide. I am particularly grateful to my friend Linda who came all the way from Harrisburg PA to New York on 22 July to see me and we had wonderful time together especially to the tour  of Rockefeller Center, New York. And many more such surprises in all the parishes I went to, for the weekend mission co-opt. I continue to wonder and thank God every time I see such goodness in people I meet. Only God can repay them for their goodness. 
The short video clip can be found on youtube.

No comments: