Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tour, Detour & Re-Tour

I have posted right away on FB the ordeal I went through as far as my journey to the United States is concerned. As it stands my tour should have began on 29th June. I promptly started off at about 8.30am from Collegio San Paolo, Roma for the Airport which normally would have taken me 45 minutes-maximum. I earned much patients this day and learned what it means to be caught in the traffic. And promptly reached the airport after 3 hours on the road and 15 minutes left for the flight to take off. By the time I hop on to the shuttle bus and reach the counter I was left with 5 minutes and as much as I hated to hear, I was politely told in negative. They managed to assure me on standby for the next day’s flight. I think the real agony began there. You are never sure if you are going to find a seat the next day and sure enough after hours of anxious waiting the next day until the boarding started and to be told that there isn't a seat to spare. They did find a seat in the flight that goes to Charlotte NC and I boarded on it and got connected to Philadelphia in time only to find that the checked in baggage did not arrived. I got it the next day anyway. This really was an ordeal. It was something like a tour, detour and re-tour if there is such a thing.
And now I must get into action for which I am here for. My first mission station is at Our Lady of Mercy Parish, Winston-Salem in the diocese of Charlotte NC. I reached Greensboro on the Saturday July 3 and Fr. Bill Robinson OFM the pastor was there to pick me up. He is such a kind man and very caring. He made sure that I was really feeling at home and at ease especially after all travel adventures. The mission appeal experience was very positive and the people were actually eager to hear more about our mission, more so Fr. Bill. I am going to be with him through the week until the next weekend when I will move out to another parish in the same diocese of Charlotte NC. I am so happy to have met Fr. Bill, who is well informed, learned and deeply spiritual. We are having great time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a fruitful and blessed ministry in the US during your summer break! :-)

Sancta Patricia Hildegardensis said...

I am really sorry to hear that you had so much trouble traveling to the U.S. Nevertheless, I know God always has a reason for us to encounter difficulties, so I know you will be fine. At least now you are currently where you are meant to be and can somewhat relax! :-)