Saturday, July 9, 2011

Surprise and Surprises

From here to there and there to here has been my constant surprieses. Now it is to Washington DC. I do not think if I even had a remote plan to go to Washington DC unless by some surprise. And here you go again, from day one Fr. Bill wanted something special for me and it could not have been better than to take me to the Country’s capital, Washington DC. This means six plus hours of driving. Besides, finding people to cover him in the parish (he is the pastor) isn’t always a pleasant thing to do. But he did not seemed to mind with all these inconvinces. I will never know why he did all these for me.
Up we left at 2.00pm July 5 from Our Lady of Mercy, Winston-Salem NC for Washington DC. We put up at the Friary in Washington who treated us as special guests. The following day we took a double deck hop on - hop off tour that took us around the Washington DC. The tour covering all the important sites of the capital city. You admire the grandeur of the city and all its important sites especially when you visit places like U.S. Capitol Builiding, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, JDR Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, or the Arlington Cemetery and the site of the JF Kennedy family tombs, etc.
The following day we visited the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception at the Catholic University. I must say it was quite an experience, expecially the lower level – the crypt which is so well designed giving an aura of spiritual depth.  Then we came back home-home, Our Lady of Mercy. You are up the next morning and it’s Friday and you must soon be moving to the next weekend.  The time here passed by so fast. I hope to mark a special sketch in here as I move on to the next.
Below is a short clip.

No comments: